Sewing a Bakerloo Blouse with Emma
It’s been a wee while since I last wrote a piece on this blog but I’m back with a post that I hope you will enjoy reading about.
In case you don’t already know, I’m Emma and I’m over on Instagram as @SewDoItEmma - I also am over on youtube under the same name.
Okay, as usual, Steph's choice is beautifully curated and quite hard to choose from, but I already knew that I wanted to step away from what would be an obvious choice.
Also, with the timing of #MeMadeMay2021, I looked at gaps in my wardrobe, including colours. I love lilacs and mints and to be honest, my wardrobe doesn’t hold many of these colours - which is shocking and needs to change! I love statement tops - they can really uplift a pair of jeans or just a simple skirt. I do love jeans and in colder months seem to reach for them all too often but I do walk my dog and they seem to be the most adaptable pieces in my wardrobe when it comes to that. So trying to find pieces that can work with my jeans would be a good solution.
Right, Statement Tops! Well, if you have browsed my Instagram grid, you’ll see I like a ruffle particularly when it comes to the Sagebrush Top by Friday Pattern Company - for me, it’s a Tried and True Pattern (#TnTPattern) and just makes me giddy every time I wear it. But I’ve always wanted to try the Nina Lee Bakerloo as a Blouse since I tested it as a dress back in January. So let's do this!
Now, as I said earlier the fabric I’ve chosen won’t be the most obvious choice - but I’ve been really inspired by Samanthas’ (@PurpleSewingCloud) Bakerloo's. For a while an unknown reason, I went off cotton but I’ve been slowly starting to use it again.
This Garden Flowers Cream Cotton Poplin has so many colours I can play with especially when it comes to matching match trousers and skirts. It has such a wonderfully bold floral print using colours such as plum, pink, pastel blue, teal and a golden ochre and has a paisley feel to it as well, don’t you agree?
The Cotton is very slightly sheer but only if you hold it up to the light and more opaque than sheer if at all. It’s suitable for a top or even a dress, there’s no need to line it. This cotton is also OEKO- TEX certified and has a width of 147cm.
With its directional print, I had to be quite careful with cutting it out but I think I’ve done a decent job.
Handling this cotton during the sewing process was really nice, it’s got a lovely soft feel and doesn’t slip whilst cutting the pattern pieces as viscose and silk do - it’s a brilliant beginner fabric to start on.
Like most patterns, I have to grade from my waist to my hips as there’s 10 inches difference. It’s now a step I do automatically when I check the pattern before cutting the fabric. I use a French Curve on the pattern pieces and use the other lines to gently shape the bodice.
The Bakerloo calls for bias tape, which I made using the small scraps from the remaining fabric. I used this lovely label from au_atelier via Etsy which goes really nicely with the blue tones in the fabric. I’m not sure if I’ve got the bias tape in right - something I’m going to have a look at at a later date. I’m happy with the final overall look and feel immensely summery wearing it … now if summer would just appear so we can sit in a park without having the threat of being rained on! I used the spare glitter button from my tie front Gilbert Top for the back button closure, which originally came from Textile Garden.
Thanks to Steph for inviting me to write on her blog again - it’s been such an honour and I’m really thankful for the opportunity!
And thank YOU for reading my post!
Check out Emma’s YouTube video with more details of this make, a discount code and Giveaway!